Do You Have TMJ disorder? Here's Why You Should Consult Our Chiropractor
If you're struggling with the telltale signs of a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, including stiffness, difficulty opening/closing your mouth, disturbing noises when you move your jaw, facial swelling, and ringing in the ears, your first thought may be to see your dentist. But it might never have occurred to you that your symptoms might also respond nicely to treatments from our chiropractor at St. Joseph Chiropractic. Let's examine why.
Not All TMJ Problems Are Dental Problems
It's certainly true that many cases of TMJD stem from a misaligned bite between the upper and lower rows of teeth, leading to bruxism (teeth grinding) and serious muscle tension in the jaw. But you can have a perfectly well-matched bite and still suffer from TMJD symptoms. That's because other musculoskeletal issues can create pain and stiffness in the jaw. Examples include:
- An upper cervical spinal misalignment that stresses the neck muscles
- A herniated cervical disc pressing against nerves that feed pain signals to the jaw area
- Arthritis or damage in the jaw joint
- Chronic muscle tightness and spasms from non-ergonomic work positions or poor neck posture
A Wide Range of Safe, Effective Solutions
Standard medical treatments for TMJD often include medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants. But these medications are temporary reprieves, not meaningful solutions. The last resort, surgery, can ultimately make your agony even worse. We can provide safe, effective treatments that rely on neither approach, such as:
- Cervical spinal adjustments to normalize alignment
- Physiotherapy options such as heat/cold therapy, cold laser, and infrared light therapy
- Anti-inflammatory dietary changes
- Exercises to loosen the jaw muscles
The sooner you bring your aching jaw to St. Joseph Chiropractic, the sooner we can arrive at a personalized treatment plan for your TMJ issues. The initial exam/consultation is FREE for new patients, so don't be a stranger. Call 816-279-0700 to schedule that appointment today!